In 2018, the number of clinical PET and PET/CT scans performed in the U.S. is estimated at 2.086 million. This is a net increase of about 7% in just the last year. These scans were performed at approximately 2,400 sites using fixed PET, PET/CT or PET/MR scanners or mobile PET services. The IMV 2019 PET Imaging Market Summary Report monitors scans performed, installed base of fixed units, purchase plans, radiopharmaceutical use, and other key trends. This report includes IMV’s forecast scenarios projecting the PET scanner unit market for 2019-2023.
PET Scan Volume
- What is the trend in PET scans performed from 2005-2018?
- How many clinical PET studies were conducted on fixed vs. mobile PET imaging systems? What is the trend in use by hospital-based vs. independent nonhospital locations?
- What is the current mix of PET scans by oncology, cardiology, and neurology clinical applications?
- What is the anticipated PET scan volume for 2019?
PET Equipment Installed Base & Purchase Plans
- How many fixed PET-only, PET/CT, and PET/MR units are installed in the United States?
- How many sites use mobile PET imaging services?
- What is the installed base market share by manufacturer?
- What are the plans for purchasing PET/CT and PET/MR?
- What is the current and planned mix of PET/CTs and by number of CT slices and bore size?
- What is the brand loyalty for future purchases?
- What is the PET scanner unit forecast for 2019 to 2023?
Radiopharmaceutical Utilization and Budgets
- What is the supplier share for radiopharmaceuticals?
- What percent of clinical PET scans use rubidium (82Rb)?
- How much is spent on PET radiopharmaceuticals per dose, per site, and in total?
Site Operations Characteristics
- How many technologists, clerical, administrators, and radiopharmacists are employed per site?
- How many PET scans are performed per site and per unit?
- What are the typical operating hours of PET departments?
- Which physician types are the top referrers for PET scans?
- What is the typical waiting time for an outpatient PET study?