Over the past decade, the ultrasound industry has experienced a dynamic transformation in the equipment capabilities that healthcare providers can use. The features available on conventional cart-based units have become increasingly sophisticated while the availability of even more portable laptop/tablet and handheld units have enabled their use in point-of-care and other locations inside and outside the hospital. With COVID-19 taking hold in February/March 2020, general ultrasound departments have had to modify their “normal” routines to address the impact on their operations.
Learn how departments using general ultrasound equipment in U.S. hospitals are dealing with the impact of COVID-19 on their patient exams and buying plans, and what factors will influence their current priorities and future outlook.
IMV’s 2020 General Ultrasound Market Outlook Report explores trends in patient exam volume and types, installed base mix by the equipment types of conventional cart-based, laptop/tablet, and handheld units, purchase plans, and site operations characteristics. Survey results are projected to the universe of U.S. hospitals using general ultrasound equipment.
What you’ll learn in this report
Department priorities and future outlook
- What are the key department priorities for general ultrasound?
- What types of actions are being taken to deal with COVID-19?
- What factors will impact the outlook for ultrasound the most?
- What are the preferred info sources for future ultrasound equipment purchases, particularly in the context of COVID-19?
General ultrasound patient exam volume
- How many exams were conducted in 2019, by equipment type?
- How has the “typical” volume changed in 2020 with COVID-19?
- What types of procedures are being done, by equipment type?
- What procedure types are being most impacted by COVID-19?
Ultrasound installed base and purchase plans
- How many ultrasound units are installed, by equipment type, that radiology/imaging owns or manages?
- In which locations/departments are ultrasound units being used, by equipment type? Has this changed with COVID-19?
- What is the installed base market presence by OEM vendor?
- What is the adoption rate for laptop/tablet & handheld devices?
- What is the anticipated age of ultrasound units when replaced?
- What are the ultrasound purchase plans, by equipment type?
- What is the brand loyalty of current ultrasound users?
- What was the ultrasound capital budget originally planned for 2020 and how might COVID-19 impact 2020 spending levels?
Site operations characteristics
- How many FTE sonographers, nurses, administrators, and secretaries are typically employed in ultrasound departments?