2021 continued to be an unpredictive year for healthcare due to the COVID-19 pandemic. MR departments across the United States have been impacted with reduced procedure volume and staff, which has affected workflow efficiency, but as this 2021 survey reflects, the outlook has significantly improved since IMV’s 2020 MR Market Outlook Report.
This 2021 MR Market Outlook Report summarizes the results of IMV Medical Information Division’s 2021 survey of U.S. hospitals and independent imaging centers that perform MR procedures using fixed MR systems and mobile MR services.
The report looks at department priorities outlook, now and in the future, installed base trends, procedure volumes and trends, as well as purchase intent and site operations.
To monitor trends, key results from this 2021 MR Market Outlook Report are compared to IMV’s prior MR market reports.
In this 2021 market report we have removed several COVID-19 related questions since the pandemic had abated somewhat, but a few relevant COVID-19 questions as they relate to impact remain.
Here are just a few of the key data points in the report
MR department priorities and future outlook
- What are the key department priorities for MR?
- What future factors will impact the outlook for MR the most?
- What are the top-ranked preferred uses of artificial intelligence and machine learning tools for MR departments?
- What is the trend in MR procedure volume? By procedure type?
- What is the average MR procedure volume for sites using fixed MR units vs. those using mobile MR services?
MR installed base and purchase plans
- How many fixed MR units are installed, by site type?
- What is the installed base market share by vendor?
- What is the mix of MR units by field strength and bore type?
- What types of new MR technologies are being adopted?
- What is the adoption rate for very high field 3.0+T MR?
- What type of service providers are MR sites using?
- What is the anticipated age of MR units upon replacement?
- What are the purchase plans for new vs. refurbished units?
- What is the brand loyalty of current MR users?
- What is the unit forecast for MR scanners from 2019 to 2023? MR contrast media and power injectors
- What proportion of MR procedures use contrast?
- What percent of MR procedures utilize power injectors?
- What is the supplier share for MR contrast and power injectors? Site operations characteristics
- How many technologists, nurses, administrators, imaging aides, and secretaries are employed in MR departments?
- What % of sites & procedures use outside reading services?
- What is the current productivity of MR departments?
The survey results from the 289 MR sites were weighted and projected to the targeted universe of hospitals and independent imaging centers in the United States that perform MR procedures. Respondents participated in IMV-hosted online survey from September 2 to November 23, 2021.
Table of Contents
- Background and Objectives
- MR Market Outlook Executive Summary
- Purchase Drivers
- Market Inhibitors
- Competitive Position of MR Manufacturers
- Competitive Position of Contrast Media Providers
- MR Priorities & Outlook
- Top 3 Priorities of Radiology Departments
- Verbatim Comments
- COVID-19 Impact
- AI Preferences
- Versus Previous Survey
- Outlook on MR Procedures
- Suggestions for Product Capabilities
- MR Procedure Volume
- Estimate of Procedure Volume
- By Procedure Type
- Procedures by Bed Size
- Installed Base of MR Systems
- By Bed Size
- MR Purchase Plans
- Budgets and Prospective Budgets
- Desire to Purchase
- Features Desired
- Brands Desired
- Estimate of Market for New MR Systems
- MR Contrast Media & Power Injectors
- Use of Contrast Media
- Use of Power Injectors
- Brands Used
- Preferences for Purchases
- Demographics & Site Operations Characteristics
- Types of Hospitals
- Hours and Other Operational Information
- Mobile System Use